Help You to Learn about USB Flash Drive
The continues development of technology has created lots of advanced products which have brought great convenience to our daily life. The USB Flash Drive is such a product. As it’s small, portable, and easy to use, it is extremely widely used in our life, work and study. However, many people actually know little about the USB Flash Drive except knowing that it is used to store and transfer data. So, this article will introduce more information about the USB Flash Drives to let you be more familiar with them.
What is a USB Flash Drive?
A USB flash drive is a device used for data storage that includes a flash memory and an integrated Universal Serial Bus (USB) interface. USB flash drives are mostly removable and rewritable, and physically much smaller than a floppy disk. And they are also called flash drives and USB drives.
What are the components of a USB Flash Drive?
Generally speaking, a USB Flash Drive has four essential components, they are:
- Standard-A USB plug: It provides an interface so that it you can connect your USB Flash Drive to computer through it. And usually it covers a cap for protecting.
- USB mass storage controller: It contains a micro controller and a small amount of ROM (Read Only Memory)and RAM (Random Access Memory).
- NAND flash memory chip: It is used data storage. NAND flash memory is also applied in digital cameras.
- Crystal oscillator: It supplies the main 12MHz clock signal for the device operating and also controls the data output of the device. Usually a USB Flash Drive may also has the following additional components:
- Jumpers and test pins: It is used to test the USB Flash Drive during manufacturing, or used to load code into the microprocessor.
- LEDS: It is used to prompt the data is transferring or data is reading or writing.
- Write-protect switches: It has provided a “write protect mode” function, and can prevent the data from being overwritten.
- Unpopulated space: It provides space to place the second memory chip. This action can help manufacturer to produce different storage size USB Flash Drive on the basic of the single printed circuit board to satisfy the needs of market.
- USB connector cover or cap: This component can reduce the damage rate which is caused by the static electricity. Also it can makes the outlook of the USB Flash Drive more beautiful.
- Transport aid: It is used to connected to a key chain or lanyard to prevent the USB Flash Drive from being lost.
What are the advantages of a USB flash drive?
- It doesn’t need a driver or external power supply.
- Its volume is as small as a thumb and most USB flash drive weigh about 20g.
- It supports hot-plugging and plug and play, which is very convenient to use.
- It has a fast access speed, which is about fifteen times as the speed of floppy disk.
- It possess such functions of System startup, antivirus, encryption, loading tools etc.
- It is anti-seismic, moisture-proof, high and low temperature resistance, and easy to carry.
- It has a good reliability, which can be erasable amounted to 1000000 times, and the data can be stored for at least 10 years.
Being more familiar with the USB Flash Drive will help you use it correctly and then lengthen the using life of it. I really hope this post has provided you some useful information about USB Flash Drive. Thanks for reading.
Posts by Category
- Technology News (0)
- DRM Removing Tips (38)
- DVD Ripping Tips (13)
- Free Resources (5)
- Others (7)
You may be interested in
Decrypt (rip) different kinds of copyrighted DVD discs, and convert media contents on DVDs to over 60 video and audio file formats (e.g. AVI, MOV, MP4, MKV, FLV, WebM, AVCHD, MOD, TP/TRP, etc.) with excellent quality output.
Legally remove DRM from videos and audios purchased from iTunes, Amazon Instant Video, BBC iPlayer, Rhapsody, Nokia OVI, Xbox Music etc. Also it is a great media file converter.